Monday, September 12, 2011

We Will Choose To Be A Blessing For Life

Today is my 100th day in Honduras J God has been so good. I continue to do mostly the same things here: medication for both the boys and girls, working with the babies, random jobs (such as painting and making curtains), and clinic shifts. The painting and curtains in the house are finally completed! The babies continue to grow so much!! The older ones are talking a lot more and they are beginning to understand more and more each day. Today I was folding laundry and one of the girls came up to me while I was folding her shirt and said “ropa” (cloths). I was proud of her for being able to #1 pick out which were her cloths and #2 knowing the word for cloths. This might not seem like a big deal, but trust me it is J I looked across the room today in time to see Maria just walking around all by herself! Normally it is clear that she is going from point A (crib) to point B (table, chair, me) but this time she was just walking. It was so cute! Some of the boys have hit the “terrible twos” a few months early, which has helped me better understand Proverbs 3:12 “The LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.” I really do love these babies so much, but I know that because I love them they can’t go around hitting each other or biting or pushing without anyone teaching them better. It is challenging at times to know what is best to do, but I am sure everyone who has worked with two year olds feels that way at times.

Last week I spent a day in Tegucigalpa purchasing an extra month on my passport. We left Emmanuel at 6 AM and did not get back until 8 PM. Imagine the DMV sceario, but worse. Naively I thought we were making good time when we were an hour into the whole process and were only missing one signature. Five hours, two bags of chips, and two sodas later we were still missing that same signature. Lourdis, a girl who works at the orphanage, was with me and we decided it was best to walk to the Pharmacy and pick up the medication we were told to purchase while in Tegucigalpa and come back to get my passport. We spent a little over an hour getting medication, and thankfully once we got back my passport was ready to be picked up! After getting my passport we went to the bus station to get a bus back to Guaimaca. Riding the bus was an experience all of its own. At the station I noticed that every seat was going to be full but as we are driving to Guaimaca, we continue to stop and pick people up who are now standing in the isle of the bus between the already full seats. There was literally no extra room on this bus! Once we got to Guaimaca, Lourdis and I got off the bus and went to get a Taxi. Once we start asking around, someone tells us that Taxis stopped running an hour ago. I begin to get nervous. Even though it is only 7:30 PM in Honduras, which translates to about 2 AM in the States, it is late to be out in the town. I called one of the Staff here to ask what we should do, and he was there within five minutes to pick us up.  I was so thankful to be back at Emmanuel!

AMY AND JM GOT HERE!!! They came in last Wednesday and left Emmanuel this morning! It was so great getting to spend time with them! Wednesday night Marie and Larz (an awesome Danish couple here) invited us over to play games and hang out! It was a lot of fun. Thursday we walking into town and grocery shopped. Amy and Jm were a huge help with the babies and in the clinic! Amy also brought some of the cutest baby cloths ever that were bought for the babies here! They looked so adorable in the bright new cloths! While working in the clinic, I am sure Amy and JM caught up on watching the classic Disney VHS tapes while they were here. It was fun getting to cook and eat meals with them while they were here! We also played a lot of Rummikub and Banagrams in the evenings! It was so so great to see familiar faces from home J They also brought some awesome snacks that my family sent me! Trail Mix, Brownies, and Cliff Bars never tasted so good! I now know that if I want to appreciate a food, I just won’t eat it for three months! On another note I just finished reading one of the best action books I have ever read. It is called The Hunger Games and I highly recommend it! I could not put it down at times!

Throughout the past 100 days God has really reminded me how faithful He is! He has proven so many of his promises to be true! He has given me rest when I needed it (Matthew 6), made my life better because of His goodness (James 1:17), and held my hand the whole time I have been here in Honduras (Isaiah 41:13). God continues to bless me more than I ever could ask for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment