Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Better is ONE Day in Your Courts Than THOUSANDS Elsewhere


Tonight I am spending the night at the clinic with a funny little boy named Tony. About ten days ago Tony was playing on the trampoline with his friends and somehow managed to be stepped on at the bottom of a pile of rough boys. At the exact moment he was trapped, another child tried to help him up. This resulted in the near loss of his ear! He was rushed to the doctor’s office and received stitches on the inside and outside of his ear. Now that his pain is being managed with medication, as most five year olds do, he has more energy than he knows what to do with. When I got to the clinic tonight I asked him if he wanted to watch a movie. He told me he did and when I asked him what type, he responded “a funny one.” We looked at the movies and he instantly started chanting Winnie La Pooh. I am not sure when Winnie the Pooh became a comedy, but I decided not to question his movie preferences.

During nap time today in the baby room I realized that there are five solid truths that apply basically to any time I am working with the toddlers.

1.      1. Saying “No” to a toddler will always be traumatic- both for the toddler and also for the adult who is about to have to listen to the fit that will be thrown.
2.      2. Clipping finger nails and toe nails of the toddlers will always make me nervous. So far all babies still have ten fingers and ten toes, but I still have 6 weeks here J
3.     3.  Strollers built to hold two babies are actually capable of holding five.
4.     4.  Second to Sundays, nap times are sacred. Thou shalt not forsake thy naptime.
5.      5. If you think you are tired, drink a second cup of coffee.

(With only some slight altering- some of these truths can also apply to the teenage girls J Just kidding..kinda)

I still am really enjoying the time I get to spend with the babies! While here, I have gotten the privilege of working in the baby room with Brandy, Anna, and Marie. Yesterday was Marie’s little girls Birthday! We had so much fun celebrating it with the kids! They brought a Clifford PiƱata, party hats, balloons, candy, and a cake! The babies loved the cake so much! They all try so hard to be independent, and ended up with frosting all over their faces (and hands, arms, and legs) J After the party we decided it would just be easier to bath them than to try to use hand wipes to get all the cake off!

Unfortunately about half of the babies have been sick within the past two weeks. Five of them have been running fevers. L It makes me feel so helpless when they are in between doses of medication, still running a fever, and angry because we are giving them cold baths. Please pray that their fevers will break completely!

I am still giving out medication. It has been great getting to know the kids who receive medication more and more each day. One of the special needs teenagers named Kika handed me a note about a week back. Trying not to look too eager to see what the note said, I put it in my pocket and told him I would read it when I got home. Once I got home, I opened it and instantly realized that it was written in a girl’s handwriting and contained the daily drama that any teenage girl would inform her friend about in passing. I think Kika had “mistakenly” come across this note, and then decided I was the right person to receive it.

I have decided it is time for me to retire my dark green TOMS. I have had them for close to two years (which makes them about 100 years old in TOMS shoes years). They were my first pair of TOMS to get, so I have been reluctant to retire them- although they have a hole in the top of one shoe and the back of the other is fraying. There have been two instances that (1) made me laugh and (2) made this decision to retire them final. Two weeks ago one of the staff members invited me over to her house. We were talking and giving each other a hard time when she looked at my shoes and started laughing. She then says, “Daysha do you need new shoes? I can get you a pair if you need them…” We both laughed, and I told her I was fine. Tonight while walking to church I was talking with one of the teen girls. Her flip flop had just broken, and I asked her if she had another pair of flip flops. She told me she didn’t (but I am pretty sure she actually does) and without looking begins to say, “That is why tomorrow you should give me…” and then glances down at my TOMS and stops mid sentence. I just started laughing again and said, “Jokes on you! You don’t want my shoes!” After this second instance though I now know my TOMS will not be returning to Arizona with me, which is sad- but apparently long over due J

Yesterday the power was off for the second half of the day, and today the water was off throughout the whole orphanage. Hopefully both these quarks will be worked out tomorrow- but if not, we will all be ok J I finished reading Redeeming Love this week. I read this book a few years ago and loved it, so I was happy to see it on the community shelf here! It is a great story and I recommend reading it. I also still enjoy getting to read my notes each week J The notes are always encouraging and exactly what I am needing to hear. Thank you again to everyone who sent one for me to read this summer! As of today, I am the only volunteer here. It has been sad watching new roommates and friends leave this summer, but I know God has amazing plans for them back home! I am counting down the days until Amy and JM get here! If there is anyone else who has extra time, loves hanging out with awesome children, doesn’t like sleeping, drinks way too much coffee, and wants a life changing experience- come to Orphanage Emmanuel! I am sure you will love it J

No comments:

Post a Comment