Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Your Light Will Shine When All Else Fades

Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Philippians 1:6 “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

These verses have been two verses that I have found myself focusing on during the last couple weeks here at Orphanage Emmanuel. It amazes me that God has prepared good works for us all to do (whether it is ministering to children, helping the elderly, taking care of the sick, ect.) , and once He begins a good work in us we can be CONFIDENT that he will carry it out until it is completed!

This week has been very different from any other of my weeks here at Emmanuel. One of the teenagers had her baby last week, and since then I have been spending all my nights at the clinic helping her and her newborn, as well as helping give medication and take temperatures of the other children who are sick in the second room. After talking with the director, we both agreed that consistency would be best for the new mom, so that is why I have been working all the nights instead of rotating through the volunteers.  It has been good to get to know her better and meet new baby Jefferson! He is so adorable and honestly a great baby! He is already sleeping multiple hours at a time throughout the night and he is only eight days old! It is also great to see the amount of love and affection she constantly gives him! I am very proud of such a young mom taking on a huge responsibility and rising to the challenge! Working in the clinic this week I have seen everything from recovering from surgery, concussions, infections, and open wounds. It has been hard to get up every couple hours (or less) throughout the night multiple nights in a row, but once I get off in the morning after I hand out the medication I have been able to go back to the house and catch up on my sleep for a little bit!

New volunteers have gotten here!! I love when the house is full of people! We have had five Danish girls arrive, one American, and one Canadian all in the past week! Having the new volunteers is wonderful.  Shifts are being filled at the Sala and the Clinic a lot easier than they were a week ago.

The babies are as cute as ever! I have been missing them in the mornings, but I know I have to get some sleep if I want to be able to be any help once I get there! One of their new phrases that they have been saying lately is “nohay?” which is two words (no hay) that the blend into one when asking if there is any more of anything.  It’s cute J This past Sunday we got to celebrate David Isac’s first Birthday! We had a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting and sang to him! Anna had dressed him in the cutest button down shirt, tie, and vest for his birthday! This morning one of the other volunteers saw David take his first steps! They are all growing up so quick!

The past few months- while painting, sewing, cleaning, and working on other various house projects (and during clinic shifts at night) - I have been watching Friends Seasons 1-6 that another volunteer loaned me. I had never watched the show before this summer but have had a lot of fun catching up on what I have been missing! When I get home I will be ready to find out how all the seasons end! Any one up for a Friends Marathon? J I honestly can’t believe I will be home in less than 10 days! My four months here have gone by really fast! When I get home I have faith that God will have good works prepared for me to do in Arizona J

2 comments:

  1. Daysha, I love reading about your work. I've spent the last few weeks doing much of the same thing -- getting up every two hours during the night and giving medicine -- and I've wondered why in the world it didn't tire me out as much as it usually does.

    Now, I think I know. I think that somehow, I knew that you and others were doing the same thing. That when we care for someone who can't care for themselves, we are able to draw energy from the compassion of others who are doing the same thing. I've always believed that God gives special energies and abilities to caregivers, but maybe we also give it to each other. :-)

    Anyway -- I love you! I'm proud of you! I'm so thankful you were able to follow your heart and spend the last few months being such a servant. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lisa!! It is very true that the energy comes from God :) Thank you for always encouraging me!

    ReplyDelete