Sunday, August 14, 2011

Love Came To Show Us The Way


So there I was, delivering medication riding down a hill to get to my second house of the day when I realized that I was not 100% sure if I should use the right handle break or the left handle break. Perfect… I had been the proud owner of a bike for less than 24 hours and I was not about to crash in front of the high school boys house. One of my only scars from childhood came from a bike accident at a young age when I used the front wheel break instead of the back wheel break and flipped over the bike. I decided against trying to guess the correct break, and decided to do what seemed like the only option that I had left which was to begin yelling “Permisso” (excuse me) as loud as I could and hope that innocent bystanders moved out of my way quick enough and that the bike would eventually slow down in speed. Thankfully there were no casualties in my first experience riding my bike in Honduras. Now two weeks later, I am a lot more confident in my bike riding (and breaking) abilities and it has been a blessing to be able to use while distributing medication. I really enjoying distributing medication, and love getting to see a lot of the kids multiple times a day.

The babies, as always, are really cute. It always shocks me how much personality can be in such little people! Tonight I watched Baby Einstein with the infants and it was one of the most entertaining half hours of my summer. I had seen Baby Einstein before, but this time instead of watching the movie, I watched the kids. The babies were hilarious! They all knew when the different puppets were coming up, danced with the little songs, mimicked the animal noises, and clapped at the end of the short sections. It was so cute! I don’t know why short clips of toys, puppets, and music transfix babies, but I am really glad it does J
One project that has been consuming 80% of my past three days has been a HUGE painting project! The end goal is for the entire Volunteer House to be repainted. As of tonight, we have completely finished three of the five bedrooms. Our work for us is still cut out for us with painting the remaining bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, living room, and laundry room- but hopefully we will be able to make more progress this week! I am really proud of how the three bedrooms have turned out and am ready to finish up the painting and retire my new found skill J

It has been a while since I posted last, but last week I finished reading a great book titled Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. It is a fictional story about the factual topic of Christian persecution in China. It was loaned to me by a staff member here and it has been one of my favorite books I have read this summer. My favorite quote from this book comes from the end of the book when the author is describing a hypothetical conversation that the main character of this story is having with God.  It states, “When you longed for a great house in this world,” the King said, “you were longing for my house. You just didn’t know it. My children there never dream too big, you know. They dream too small, they set their sights too low. They choose to play in the mud on a cold rainy day when I offer them open green meadows in the sun, clear flowing streams, majestic mountains, and endless beaches and blue skies that stretch to the stars themselves, stars that are gateways to innumerable worlds beyond. The sons of Adam try so hard to be satisfied with so little- which keeps them from ever being satisfied at all.” When I read this paragraph in the book the first time I had to stop and reread it again. It made me wonder how many times I have been content “sitting in the mud on a cold rainy day” when God has always been offering much more that I can ever imagine! God is so good and I am so thankful for the time I have been able to spend here.

1 comment:

  1. Your time spent in Honduras has been such a blessing to witness. I look up to you for having the courage to do things I am so afraid of doing. You're amazing.

    Love you, Daysha!

    ReplyDelete